Group photo

Miami, Florida Defense Base Act Injury Lawyer

The Defense Base Act started a Federal program that gives workers’ compensation benefits to non-military employees who are hurt while working at United States Military bases overseas. The benefits help hurt employees pay for medical bills and get back lost wages while away from work. It doesn’t matter which branch of the United States Military you work for-Army, Navy, Air Force or Marine Corps. “Overseas” means that the United States military base isn’t located in any of the fifty States. Attorneys Jo Ann Hoffman and Associates, P.A. are experienced and can help you if you are a non-military employee who has been hurt at an overseas United States Military base.

Because the Defense Base Act is for employees hurt overseas, it doesn’t matter if you live in Florida. In fact, you don’t even have to be a United States citizen for the Defense Base Act to apply to you. As long as you are a non-military employee who has been hurt while working for the United States Government or its troops overseas, you may be able to get workers’ compensation benefits. Attorneys Jo Ann Hoffman and Associates, P.A. are able to help people of all nationalities. If you need a translator to help in you consultation with us, please let us know and we will find a translator for you. We also offer free telephone consultations for you.

If you are not sure what kinds of injury situations are usually covered by the Defense Base Act, here are some examples:

  1. If you are hurt while working for a private employer at an overseas United States Military base or on any overseas land used by the United States for military purposes.

  2. If you are hurt while doing work related to a public works contract with any United States Government agency. Public works contracts include construction contracts and service contracts relating to national defense and wartime activities performed overseas.

  3. If you are hurt while doing work overseas related to a contract that has been approved and funded by the United States under the Foreign Assistance Act. The Foreign Assistance Act relates to cash sales of military equipment, materials and services to allies of the United States Government.

  4. If you are hurt while doing work for an American employer who gives overseas public welfare services for the United States Military. Examples of such public welfare organizations include the United Service Organizations, the American Red Cross, and The Salvation Army.

  5. If you are hurt as an employee of any subcontractor working for a contractor in any of the above situations.

Sadly, last year alone, a total of 465 deaths were reported under the Defense Base Act, with over 80% happening in Afghanistan. The Defense Base Act also applies to certain living family members of employees who have unfortunately died during the time of their employment. Specifically, dependent spouses and/or children may qualify for certain death benefits under the Defense Base Act. Defense Base Act claims should be filed as soon as possible. If you have been hurt or your close relative has died, please file Form LS-201, Notice of Employee’s Injury or Death (please carefully follow the instructions on the form) with the employer as soon as possible after the date of injury or death. You may call Attorneys Jo Ann Hoffman and Associates, P.A. at any time to talk about your legal rights and options.

If you have a question about a Defense Base Act claim, please call Attorneys Jo Ann Hoffman and Associates, P.A. in Miami, Florida at 954-772-2644 today. If you think you have a case, you can fill out our online CONTACT US form and email it to our office. We accept all of our cases on a contingency fee basis. This means that we never charge you any fees or costs unless we get monies from the defendants or their insurance companies. Also, our consultations are always free. We look forward to your call and to helping you.

For more Defense Base Act injury information, please visit our Defense Base Act Lawyers Blog.