Miami, Florida Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Have you been hurt in a motorcycle accident in the Miami, Florida area? Whether you were hurt as the driver or as a passenger on the motorcycle, Attorneys Jo Ann Hoffman and Associates, P.A. are happy to help you. Our lawyers have over 70 years of combined experience helping people hurt in motorcycle accidents in the Miami area. You don’t have to live in Miami for us to help you. Attorneys Jo Ann Hoffman and Associates, P.A. help people who live in any state or country that have been hurt in motorcycle accidents in the State of Florida.
Here are some interesting facts from the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles about motorcycle accidents in Florida compared to car accidents in Florida in 2010.
- There were 7,484 reported motorcycle accidents.
- Motorcycle drivers were hurt in 89% of those accidents.
- Motorcycle passengers were hurt in almost 10% of those accidents.
- Motorcycle drivers were killed in almost 5% of those accidents.
- Motorcycle passengers were killed in less than ½ of 1% of those accidents.
- There were 227,977 reported automobile accidents.
- Automobile drivers were hurt in almost 53% of those accidents.
- Automobile passengers were hurt in 24% of those accidents.
- Automobile drivers were killed in less than ½ of 1% of those accidents.
- Automobile passengers were killed in less than two tenths of 1% of those accidents.
The reason that the number of hurt or killed motorcycle passengers is much lower than the number of injured or killed motorcycle drivers is because there was usually no passenger on the motorcycle.
Also, here are some facts from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration about motorcycle accidents in the United States.
- Accidents between motorcycles and other vehicles make up approximately 75% of all motorcycle accidents. The other vehicle is usually a car.
- Accidents not involving another vehicle make up the remaining 25% of motorcycle accidents. In this type of accident, the motorcycle usually wipes out or crashes into a stationary object such as a roadside safety rail or light pole.
- Nearly 50% of accidents between motorcycles and other vehicles are caused by one or both of the drivers not seeing each another because of glare or being blocked by other cars on the road.
- Driver mistakes are the main cause of motorcycle accidents not involving another vehicle. The most common driver mistake is speeding and then having to brake too quickly, or taking a curve too sharply, resulting in a wipe out.
- Most motorcycle accidents happen at an intersection.
- In nearly 50% of all motorcycle accidents where the driver and/or the passenger were killed, someone was drinking and driving.
- Only 2% of all motorcycle accidents are the result of bad road conditions (for example, uneven pavement or potholes) and/or bad weather conditions.
As you can see from the facts, the chance of having an injury or death is much higher if you ride a motorcycle than drive a car. This is why it is so important that you have an experienced Miami motorcycle accident attorney to help you if you have been hurt in a motorcycle accident in the Miami, Florida area or anywhere in the state of Florida. The facts also show that sometimes the motorcycle driver can cause part of a motorcycle accident. Have you caused part of a motorcycle accident? Do not worry; you may still be able to get money for the part you weren’t at fault. For example, if your personal injury case is worth $75,000.00 and you were 40% at fault, you may be able to get 60% or $45,000.00. Be aware that you can’t use personal injury protection (PIP) with motorcycle accidents, so you will have to pay your medical bills out of your $45,000.00. Attorneys Jo Ann Hoffman and Associates, P.A. understand motorcycle accident law and are able to explain your legal rights and options to you if you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, whether or not you caused part of the accident.
Besides the facts given by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, they also recommend important safety tips for people who ride motorcycles.
- The chance of being involved in a motorcycle accident is greatly lowered by using your headlights, even during the day, and by wearing bright colored jackets like yellow, orange or red so people driving can see you.
- Wearing heavy boots, a jacket, gloves, and other thick clothing can reduce or even prevent cuts and scrapes in a motorcycle accident.
- Injuries can be a lot worse in a motorcycle accident depending on how fast you are driving, the size of the motorcycle, and the driver’s drinking of alcohol or taking drugs.
- Not wearing sunglasses can cause the wind to make your vision blurry, which can increase the chances of a motorcycle accident.
- Using an approved safety helmet is the most critical factor in reducing both head and neck injury in a motorcycle accident.
- Using a safety helmet with full face shield greatly reduces face injury in a motorcycle accident.
- Having the right type of car insurance policy for motorcycles is highly recommended to get the best medical care and be able to replace your bike in a motorcycle accident.
If you or a family member have been hurt in a motorcycle accident, please call Attorneys Jo Ann Hoffman and Associates, P.A. today. Our Miami, Florida telephone number is (305) 624-2255. We do our very best to answer your questions quickly and talk to you about your legal rights and options. Besides calling us, you can also fill out and submit our online CONTACT US form, and we will follow up with you. We accept all of our cases on a contingency fee basis. This means that we never charge you any fees or costs unless we get monies from the defendants or their insurance companies. Also, our consultations are always free. We look forward to your call and to helping you.
For more motorcycle accident injury information, please visit our Florida Car Accident Lawyers Blog.